Russian News  
BMD Focus: Biden dances in Munich

disclaimer: image is for illustration purposes only
by Martin Sieff
Washington (UPI) Feb 20, 2009
Russia has accepted a first crucial olive branch offered by the Obama administration that may lead to the scrapping of America's planned ballistic missile defense bases in Central Europe.

U.S. Vice President Joe Biden announced at the annual Munich Security Conference on Feb. 7 that while the Obama administration was still going ahead with plans to build the new bases in Poland and the Czech Republic, it was also willing to listen to Russia's concerns about the project.

"We will continue to develop missile defenses to counter a growing Iranian capability, provided the technology is proven to work and cost-effective," Biden said. "We will do so in consultation with our NATO allies and Russia."

"It is time to press the reset button and to revisit the many areas where we can and should work together," he said.

The substance of what Biden said was no different, or appeared to be no different, from the official position the Bush administration had taken on the project. It was the Russian response that was very different indeed.

For years, the Kremlin brushed off the many assurances of Bush officials that the planned bases to house 10 Ground-based Ballistic Interceptors in Poland and an advanced radar tracking array in the Czech Republic by 2013 were not aimed at Russia but were designed to protect Western Europe and the United States from any threat of nuclear missile attack from Iran. Bush administration offers to hold talks with Russia on the issue were regularly rejected.

However, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov took a very different approach to Biden's offer at the Munich Conference: On Feb. 8, the very next day, in his remarks in Munich, he enthusiastically praised the vice president's comments as "very positive." He also told the conference that if the United States scrapped its plans to build the two bases, Russia would not deploy its highly accurate short-range Iskander-M missiles in its Kaliningrad province on the Baltic Sea, as Russian President Dmitry Medvedev threatened to do in his national address to the Russian people in November.

The comments by both Biden and Ivanov were not off-the-cuff remarks. They were both very carefully planned and calibrated statements crafted in advance that reflected a serious and already sustained diplomatic engagement between the United States and Russia on the issue of the BMD bases.

As we have previously noted in these columns, former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger flew to Moscow in December and held unofficial discussions with senior Russian officials that were reported back to President-elect Barack Obama and his transition team.

Obama, Biden and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton are all eager to improve relations with Russia and to take up the Russian suggestion that they negotiate a new Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty to replace the 1991 START I, which runs out in December 2009.

The annual Munich conference used to be called the Wehrkunde, and for decades it was a deliberately low-key meeting of U.S. and Western European defense ministrant experts in military issues that was expressly designed to strengthen the trans-Atlantic Alliance. However, in recent years it has developed into a high-publicity platform that has employed top Russian, Chinese and Indian national security officials to meet with Western leaders and present their own foreign policy initiatives.

Biden and Ivanov's statements should both therefore be read as carefully choreographed steps in an elaborate diplomatic minuet. The Obama administration and the Kremlin both want a new START treaty. Obama and Clinton are less than enthusiastic about building the BMD bases. However, Iran's rapid strides toward developing its own intercontinental ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons may yet force the Obama administration to stick with the BMD-bases program after all.

Most likely, however, those bases will be scrapped as part of the price Obama and Clinton are willing to pay to get a new START treaty.

Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com

BMD Watch: LM wins Aegis upgrade contract
Washington (UPI) Feb 20, 2009
Lockheed Martin has won a $78.6 million contract from the U.S. Navy to create a new generation of computing equipment, voice communications and console displays for the Aegis Modernization and Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense programs.







  • Clinton wraps Asia trip by asking China to buy US debt
  • France in NATO: What would de Gaulle say?
  • Analysis: What Germany is all about today
  • Clinton sees new role for Indonesia in US 'smart power'

  • Unenviable task for new US pointman on NKorea
  • US summons Syrian ambassador over nuclear issue
  • US, allies 'can't delay' Iran worries: White House
  • Clinton urges NKorea to stop provocation

  • Chandrayaan-I Passes Critical Endurance Test
  • Bangalore To Host India's Maiden Space Exposition
  • National Remote Sensing Agency Becomes An ISRO Centre
  • Analysis: Revolt in India rebel group ULFA

  • China issues call to crush Tibetan 'separatists'
  • Tibetans arrested after China protests: activist groups
  • China defends relations with Khmer Rouge
  • China willing to talk human rights with US: govt

  • Analysis: Mexico to offset oil decline?
  • Analysis: Nigeria oil near all-time low
  • Canada, US partner on environment and energy
  • China hits out at Philippine bill on Spratly claims

  • Russian supply craft arrives at space station: agency
  • Satellite collision poses 'small' risk to ISS: NASA
  • Happy Birthday, Columbus!
  • Columbus, One Year On Orbit

  • Boeing Delivers First Communications Payload To MUOS Prime Contractor
  • Raytheon Delivers Final Sentinel R Mk 1 Aircraft For UK ASTOR System
  • USAF Awards LockMart Team Contract To Extend TSAT Risk Reduction/System Definition Phase
  • Major Test Of Second Advanced EHF MilComms Satellite Underway

  • Taliban bombs made with British electronics: report
  • When Pigs Fly...With Ospreys
  • Further Interest In Australian Made Bushmaster
  • Airbus 400M Woes Part One

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2007 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement