Russian News  
China slams Russian attitude to sunken ship: report

A handout photo from the Vladivostok Daily News of the New Star off Russia's far eastern coast. China summoned Russia's ambassador Friday to express shock over the sinking of the Chinese cargo ship by a Russian warship and urge a thorough investigation, the foreign ministry said. Photo courtesy AFP.
by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) Feb 20, 2009
China's foreign ministry said Friday Russia's attitude to the sinking of a Chinese cargo ship by a Russian warship was "unacceptable", according to Chinese state media.

Eight of the 16 crew members on board were killed when shots from a Russian naval vessel sank the Chinese-owned cargo ship the New Star off Russia's east coast on Sunday.

Russia has blamed the cargo ship's captain for the incident.

The attitude of the Russian foreign ministry is "hard to understand and unacceptable" for China, said Zhang Xiyun, director-general for the Department of European-Central Asian Affairs, according to the official Xinhua news agency.

Earlier, China urged Russia to investigate the incident.

"The Chinese side expresses shock and deep concern over this incident," China's Vice Foreign Minister Li Hui told Russia's ambassador to China, according to a foreign ministry statement.

"We call on the Russian side to begin with a humanitarian spirit... and continue to make all efforts to find the missing personnel."

Russian diplomatic spokesman Andrey Nesterenko expressed regret over the incident but said the Chinese ship had failed to heed warning shots.

"We regret the tragic consequences of this incident," he told the Ria-Novosti news agency.

"But at the same time, we put all the responsibility on the captain of the New Star, who acted in a totally irresponsible manner.

"We took exhaustive measures to stop the boat: the border guards fired warning shots, but the New Star continued on its way without reacting to the orders," he added.

Russian prosecutors said 10 Chinese and six Indonesian sailors were on board the vessel, the Russian Interfax news agency reported.

Russian news reports said eight people had been killed in the incident, although these figures have yet to be confirmed by authorities.

The Sierra Leone-flagged, Chinese-owned vessel New Star had earlier fled the Russian port of Nakhodka where it had been impounded for alleged smuggling, media reports said.

In a video posted online that purportedly captured the incident, a man, apparently a Russian naval officer, is heard repeatedly urging the New Star to halt.

The Russian navy fired over 500 rounds to try to force the cargo ship back to port, China's state-controlled Global Times newspaper said.

Russian news agencies said the eight surviving crew members were rescued and taken to hospital.

Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
Naval Warfare in the 21st Century

US, China consider naval pact: report
Hong Kong (AFP) Feb 19, 2009
The US commander in the Pacific said China and the United States have started work on an agreement designed to avoid an accidental confrontation at sea, according to a report here Thursday.







  • Clinton wraps Asia trip by asking China to buy US debt
  • France in NATO: What would de Gaulle say?
  • Analysis: What Germany is all about today
  • Clinton sees new role for Indonesia in US 'smart power'

  • Unenviable task for new US pointman on NKorea
  • US summons Syrian ambassador over nuclear issue
  • US, allies 'can't delay' Iran worries: White House
  • Clinton urges NKorea to stop provocation

  • Chandrayaan-I Passes Critical Endurance Test
  • Bangalore To Host India's Maiden Space Exposition
  • National Remote Sensing Agency Becomes An ISRO Centre
  • Analysis: Revolt in India rebel group ULFA

  • China issues call to crush Tibetan 'separatists'
  • Tibetans arrested after China protests: activist groups
  • China defends relations with Khmer Rouge
  • China willing to talk human rights with US: govt

  • Analysis: Mexico to offset oil decline?
  • Analysis: Nigeria oil near all-time low
  • Canada, US partner on environment and energy
  • China hits out at Philippine bill on Spratly claims

  • Russian supply craft arrives at space station: agency
  • Satellite collision poses 'small' risk to ISS: NASA
  • Happy Birthday, Columbus!
  • Columbus, One Year On Orbit

  • Boeing Delivers First Communications Payload To MUOS Prime Contractor
  • Raytheon Delivers Final Sentinel R Mk 1 Aircraft For UK ASTOR System
  • USAF Awards LockMart Team Contract To Extend TSAT Risk Reduction/System Definition Phase
  • Major Test Of Second Advanced EHF MilComms Satellite Underway

  • Taliban bombs made with British electronics: report
  • When Pigs Fly...With Ospreys
  • Further Interest In Australian Made Bushmaster
  • Airbus 400M Woes Part One

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2007 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement