Russian News  
Danish ship escapes pirates with help of Russian warship: owner

British ship escapes pirates with help of Russian warship: IMB
A British ship came under fire in a pirate attack in the Gulf of Aden, but managed to escape after a Russian warship came to the rescue, a maritime watchdog said Wednesday. The British-owned and Dutch-managed container vessel was chased for half an hour by the pirates, but managed to fend them off by increasing speed and making evasive manoeuvres. "The container ship was attacked by at least one pirate boat with six pirates on board who fired two rocket-propelled grenades," said Noel Choong, head of the International Maritime Bureau (IMB) piracy reporting centre. The British ship radioed for help, and two warships from Russia and India responded. The Russian vessel reached the area first, and sent a helicopter to scare away the attackers, he said. "When the Russian helicopter and warship arrived the pirates then stopped the chase," he said. The IMB was not able to release the name of the British vessel. Choong said that attacks are continuing apace, with 11 so far this year despite an anti-pirate offensive by international community. However, the tighter measures including increased naval patrols, together with a more effective response by targeted vessels, is making it more difficult for sea raiders to pull off successful hijackings. Of the 11 attacks this year, only two resulted in hijackings, a much lower "success rate" than last year, Choong said. "Most ships are heeding our advice, keeping a 24-hour visual and radar watch, and the moment they spot the pirates, increasing speed, launching evasive measures and calling for help immediately," he said. "A lot of the ships that escaped took all these measures." Pirates operating in the Gulf of Aden and along the Somali coast are currently holding 11 ships with 210 crew members as hostages, the Kuala Lumpur-based Piracy Reporting Centre said.
by Staff Writers
Copenhagen (AFP) Jan 14, 2009
A Danish ship came under fire in a pirate attack in the Gulf of Aden but managed to escape after a Russian warship came to its rescue, the ship's owner A.P. Moeller Maersk said Wednesday.

The Danish-owned and Dutch-managed container vessel Nedlloyd Barentsz was chased for half an hour by the pirates on Tuesday, but managed to fend them off with the warship's help, the company said.

Earlier, the International Maritime Bureau (IMB) had reported that the ship was British-owned.

The container ship was attacked by pirates aboard a small speedboat who fired two rocket-propelled grenades which missed their targets, a senior director at A.P. Moeller Maersk, Finn Brodersen, told AFP.

"Despite the fact that it was sailing at pretty high speed, it was exposed to an attack from a small speedboat with six people on board," Brodersen said.

The Danish ship increased speed, began evasive manoeuvres and radioed for help. A Russian vessel heard the distress signal and quickly reached the scene.

"They were able to follow the pirate boat which set course for the Yemen coast. When they entered Yemen waters the Russians had to stop following them," Brodersen said.

In November Maersk said that its ships that were too slow -- or with decks low enough for pirates to scramble aboard -- would avoid the Gulf of Aden and "seek alternative routing" around the Cape of Good Hope and Madagascar.

The Nedlloyd Barentsz was sailing at a speed of 21.5 knots when it was attacked Tuesday, then increased to 25 knots, Brodersen said.

He said the attack illustrated that the situation in the Gulf of Aden was "extremely dynamic."

"It's a little bit out of scope to attack a container vessel sailing at high speed. It shows pirates are still trying to capture vessels," he said.

He called for coordinated military measures to patrol the region's waters.

"There are a lot of warships down there but they seem to be operating on their own national mandates and we need much stronger international coordination in order to combat piracy," he said.

Noel Choong, head of the IMB piracy reporting centre, said attacks were continuing apace in the Gulf of Aden, with 11 so far this year despite an anti-pirate offensive by the international community.

However, the tighter measures including increased naval patrols, together with a more effective response by targeted vessels, are making it more difficult for sea raiders to pull off successful hijackings.

Of the 11 attacks this year, only two resulted in hijackings, a much lower "success rate" than last year, Choong said.

"Most ships are heeding our advice, keeping a 24-hour visual and radar watch, and the moment they spot the pirates, increasing speed, launching evasive measures and calling for help immediately," he said.

"A lot of the ships that escaped took all these measures."

Pirates operating in the Gulf of Aden and along the Somali coast are currently holding 11 ships with 210 crew members as hostages, the Kuala Lumpur-based Piracy Reporting Centre said.

Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
21st Century Pirates

US 5th fleet announces new international anti-piracy force
Manama (AFP) Jan 8, 2009
The US Fifth Fleet announced Thursday the launch of a new international naval force to fight piracy in the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean after a wave of hijackings off the coast of Somalia.







  • US military chief urges shift to civilian instruments of power
  • 'Big leaguer Clinton' charms Senate chums
  • China, US upbeat on future of bilateral relationship
  • Walker's World: Sarkozy and the Britons

  • Obama must step up fight against secret nuclear trade, experts say
  • Tokyo governor says NKorea best taken over by China
  • SKorean team to discuss buying NKorea fuel rods
  • Nuclear-related programs cost US 52 bln dollars in 2008: report

  • Bangalore To Host India's Maiden Space Exposition
  • Chandrayaan-I Passes Critical Endurance Test
  • National Remote Sensing Agency Becomes An ISRO Centre
  • Analysis: Revolt in India rebel group ULFA

  • China's Hu urges Communist Party to rid itself of corruption
  • Tibet plans holiday for China's 'liberation of serfs': report
  • 600,000 workers leave south China's industrial heartland: govt
  • China aiming to lure three million tourists to Tibet: state media

  • China lowers gas prices for second time in a month: state media
  • Iran and China sign oilfield development contract
  • Smart Fridges Stay Cool By Talking To Each Other
  • Environmental group pressures Nigeria to stop gas flaring

  • Spacehab To Support Pre-Launch Preparations For Russian Module
  • Kogod Students Pioneer Branding Potential Of International Space Station
  • Russia Tests Phone Home To Santa Network
  • Orbital Scoops Up Major Space Station Cargo Delivery Contract

  • Boeing Completes Critical Design Review For FAB-T Software-Defined Radio
  • Boeing Increases Capability Of On-Orbit US Navy Satellite
  • Boeing Develops Common Software To Reduce Risk For TSAT
  • USAF Tests Battlespace Information Solution On AC-130 Gunship

  • Lockheed Paveway 2 Laser-Guided Bomb Begins Operational Release With US Navy
  • Gazan Tank Battles 2009 - Part Three
  • Israel using Gaza as 'test laboratory' for new weapon: medics
  • Israel says all weapons legal amid phosphorus claims

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2007 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement