Russian News  
Russian ship with tourist docks with space station

File image of a Soyuz spacecraft at the ISS.
by Staff Writers
Moscow (AFP) March 28, 2009
A Russian Soyuz capsule carrying second-time space tourist Charles Simonyi docked Saturday at the International Space Station, media reports quoted the control centre near Moscow as saying.

Officials said the crew, a US astronaut and a Russian cosmonaut, had overridden the spacecraft's automatic pilots to dock manually after a glitch in an engine caused the Soyuz's computer to stop the process.

"One of the engines had a fault which the computer considered was serious and it began to move the Soyuz away from the ISS at a rate of one metre per second," mission control official Vladimir Sovlov told RIA-Novosti news agency.

"We decided not to allow that and asked the crew to intervene. The commander judged the engine was working normally and we authorised him to approach in manual mode, which was carried out successfully."

The crew checked to ensure there were no leaks in the airlock between the capsule and the space station before the crews of the two vessels joined up, spokesman Valery Lyndin told Interfax news agency.

Simonyi and the Soyuz crew of Russian Gennady Padalka and American Michael Barratt entered the ISS around 1630 GMT, a little over three hours after docking, Russian agencies reported the Moscow control centre as saying.

They were greeted by US astronaut Michael Fincke and Russian cosmonaut Yuri Lonchakov. Padalka will take over as the space station's commander, while Barratt becomes the flight engineer.

US software pioneer Simonyi, 60, is the first person to travel twice into space as a tourist, having paid 35 million dollars (28 million euros) for the voyage. He paid 25 million dollars the first time around.

He previously travelled to the space station in April 2007, becoming one of a select group of wealthy civilians, most of them from the United States, to have pioneered space tourism.

This time around, he will spend 12 days on board before coming back down to Earth with Fincke and Lonchakov on April 7.

The launch comes as Moscow is doubling the number of manned space launches to meet the needs of the expanding space station, with a second launch due in May.

The head of Russian space agency Rosksomos, Anatoly Perminov, said that for a period it could be the last time a space tourist would be taken on board, but had high praise for Russian-US space cooperation.

Simonyi's trip to space was the seventh by a space tourist since the programme was launched by Roskosmos and US firm Space Adventures in 2001.

But there are plans to raise the number of crew for the ISS from three to six from May, meaning there will no longer be a spare seat for a tourist on future missions.

Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
Station and More at Roscosmos
S.P. Korolev RSC Energia
Russian Space News

Russia To Test Launch Angara Carrier Rocket In 2011
Moscow (RIA Novosti) Mar 19, 2009
Russia's new Angara carrier rocket will start test flights in 2011, the rocket's developer said on Wednesday.







  • China calls US report on military 'gross distortion'
  • Analysis: EU crisis sows political chaos
  • Obama defends right to NATO expansion
  • China military buildup changing balance in Asia: US

  • China's leverage on North Korea limited: analysts
  • Medvedev, Obama to agree arms declaration: Kremlin
  • Russia plans to deploy troops in the Arctic: document
  • NKorea says UN discussion of rocket launch would end nuke talks

  • Bangalore To Host India's Maiden Space Exposition
  • Chandrayaan-I Passes Critical Endurance Test
  • National Remote Sensing Agency Becomes An ISRO Centre
  • Analysis: Revolt in India rebel group ULFA

  • 1,000 police sent to calm China village unrest: state media
  • Police station in NW China attacked: state media
  • Tibet's Panchen Lama, Beijing's propaganda tool
  • China Calls It 'Serf Liberation Day' In Tibet

  • More complaints about energy-saving bulbs
  • Analysis: Nigeria oil strike called off
  • Blue Light Specials
  • New Material Could Help Cut Future Energy Losses

  • Expedition 19 Crew Launches From Baikonur
  • New Station Crew Set to Launch Thursday
  • Space station crew set for pioneering launch
  • Astronauts complete final space walk

  • Northrop Grumman Continues Development Of Joint Warning And Reporting Network
  • Boeing Delivers First JTRS GMR Radio Engineering Development Models
  • Intelsat Repositions Satellite To Serve Military Units In Asia And Mideast
  • Boeing Defence Australia MHFCS Component Passes Formal Testing

  • Why The F-22 Is Vital Part 11
  • Outside View: Why F-22 is vital -- Part 10
  • US F-22 fighter jet crashes in California
  • Raytheon Completes Ground Segment Test For USAF Weather Agency

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2007 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement