Russian News  
World powers must accept a nuclear Iran: Larijani

French FM hopes Iran halts enrichment
French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said in remarks published on Sunday that he hoped Iran would abide by international calls to halt its controversial uranium enrichment programme. "There is always hope that Iran will agree (to halt enrichment)," Kouchner was quoted as saying in an interview with the moderate Etemad newspaper that was conducted in Paris. Uranium enrichment is the main sticking point in the long-running standoff between Iran and the international community as the process can be used to make nuclear fuel for power plants and the core of an atomic bomb. Kouchner pointed to questions raised by the UN Security Council and the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, about Iran's nuclear activities including enrichment. "Why don't our Iranian friends answer these questions... The agency wants them to answer in order to remove suspicions," Kouchner said. This is the first step toward peace." Kouchner, whose country is one of the so-called 5+1 world powers, the five permanent members of the Security Council plus Germany, said the group still believed in holding negotiations with Tehran. "We favour dialogue and will continue it," he said. The six world powers last week offered to hold direct negotiations with Iran in the latest bid by the international community to persuade Tehran to halt enrichment. "I believe it is very important (for Iran) to answer some of the agency's (IAEA's) technical and certain other questions, and also to suspend the current programme which does not seem to have a non-military purpose." Kouchner also said he would visit Iran "at an appropriate time but under a few conditions." Tehran denies it is trying to build atomic weapons, insisting it nuclear programme is for peaceful electricity generating purposes.
by Staff Writers
Tehran (AFP) April 12, 2009
Iranian parliament speaker Ali Larijani said on Sunday world powers must accept the Islamic republic as a nuclear power as top officials vowed no let-up in Tehran's sensitive uranium enrichment drive.

Larijani's comments came after the five permanent members of the UN Security Council -- Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States -- plus Germany offered to hold direct talks with Iran over its nuclear programme.

"Now the 5+1 has no reason to deny or refuse Iran's nuclear technology and the expected negotiations will be based according to the rights mentioned in the Non-Proliferation Treaty," Larijani said in a speech to parliament reported by the ISNA news agency.

The international community has called on Iran to halt its uranium enrichment programme which some countries suspect is aimed at making atomic weapons, a charge strongly denied by Tehran.

Their call was reiterated again by French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner in an interview with Iranian daily Etemad.

Iran announced on Thursday the opening of its first nuclear fuel plant and said it has tested two new high-capacity centrifuges used to enrich uranium, although Washington has voiced scepticism over the claimed nuclear advances.

Tehran maintains it is allowing the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, to inspect its nuclear work and that as a signatory to the NPT, it has the right to enrich uranium as fuel for nuclear power plants.

Larijani, Iran's former chief nuclear negotiator, said that the "more intense supervision as advocated by some of the members of 5+1 is baseless and has no legal foundation."

Larijani's remarks were echoed by Mohammad Saeedi, deputy head of the Iranian Atomic Organisation.

"The world has to accept Iran as a nation with nuclear power for peaceful purposes," Saeedi was quoted as saying on the website of state-run television.

"Some nations are accepting this fact and the talk of suspending (the enrichment programme) is a thing of the past and no longer relevant."

Enriching uranium so that it can be used for nuclear power -- or building a weapon of mass destruction -- lies at the heart of the controversy surrounding Iran's nuclear programme.

Alaeddin Brujerdi, lawmaker and the head of Iranian parliament's commission on foreign policy and national security, urged continuation of uranium enrichment activities.

"Iran will not accept suspension of enrichment, but we are for disarmament in the region," Brujerdi was quoted by the official IRNA news agency as saying.

"From now on, instead of saying 5+1, we should say the group of seven, as given Iran's progress in nuclear technology, we believe Iran has the same status as others involved in the negotiations."

He called for study of two sets of proposals relating to the controversial uranium activities -- one put forward by world powers to Iran and the other drawn up by Tehran.

Global powers have proposed giving economic incentives to Iran to help in its civilian nuclear programme, in return for it halting its enrichment activities.

For its part, Iran launched a package which it described as an all-embracing attempt to solve the problems of the world, including the nuclear crisis. It suggests setting up consortiums to enrich uranium, including one in Iran.

Neither offer has been discussed at a global level.

Kouchner said: "There is always hope that Iran will agree (to halt enrichment).

"I believe it is very important (for Iran) to answer some of the agency's (IAEA's) technical and certain other questions, and also to suspend the current programme which does not seem to have a non-military purpose," he was quoted as saying by the moderate Etemad newspaper.

Kouchner said the so-called 5+1 still favours negotiations with Tehran.

Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com

France Unmoved By Obama Nuclear Doctrine As Russia Modernises Strageic Forces
Paris (AFP) April 10, 2009
France said Friday it had begun to reduce its own arsenal long before US President Barack Obama called for a "world without nuclear weapons", as a leaked memo showed Paris unimpressed by his speech.







  • Analysis: Obama's European scorecard
  • Russia's Growing Arctic Power Play
  • China wary of 'G2' with US: analysts
  • Obama passes NATO test, but questions remain

  • Kim And Mahmoud And ICBM Envy
  • World powers must accept a nuclear Iran: Larijani
  • Iraq to create nuclear energy commission
  • France Unmoved By Obama Nuclear Doctrine As Russia Modernises Strageic Forces

  • Bangalore To Host India's Maiden Space Exposition
  • Chandrayaan-I Passes Critical Endurance Test
  • National Remote Sensing Agency Becomes An ISRO Centre
  • Analysis: Revolt in India rebel group ULFA

  • 5,000 clash with police in China: rights group
  • China announces plans for more market-oriented media
  • Chinese academic says beaten for trying to mourn late leader
  • Children of China's migrants endure a life without parents

  • Analysis: Energy prizes spur creativity
  • New, cheaper white light LEDs are created
  • Analysis: Gazprom in Azerbaijan
  • Algae genomes key to regulating carbon emissions: study

  • Expedition 18 Crew Set To Return Home
  • Crews Prepare For Expedition 18 Departure
  • Crews Wrap Up Busy Week
  • Russia To Launch Another 3 Soyuz Spacecraft To ISS In 2009

  • Northrop Grumman Continues Development Of Joint Warning And Reporting Network
  • Boeing Delivers First JTRS GMR Radio Engineering Development Models
  • Intelsat Repositions Satellite To Serve Military Units In Asia And Mideast
  • Boeing Defence Australia MHFCS Component Passes Formal Testing

  • Vietnam Agent Orange victims vow to fight on
  • Thompson Files: Marines triumph with EFV
  • Outside View: Why F-22 is vital -- Part 14
  • Why The F-22 Is Vital Part 13

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2007 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement